ALEXIS BELLAVANCE - MARTINE LAUZIER / EXHIBITION - CONFERENCE - SOUND WINDOW / ERRATIQUES
Opening date : 15 January 2015 ‑ 17 h
Erratiques is a metaphor about time, space, slowness, silence. Composed of a large inflated shape made out of glassy Mylar, the imposing installation draws the viewer into a state of observation and reflection shifting between the small and the immense. Rippling light effects and glassy waves incite the viewer to consider duration, trajectories and scale variations perhaps demonstrating their preponderance on the perception of materiality and presence. The title evokes an observable phenomenon, which occurs in the Montérégie fields, where often enormous rocks were displaced for thousands of years by glaciers. Mere pebbles on the glacier scale, these rocks are called Erratics. Their immense shape provides an improbable contrast between slow and rapid, depending on our perspective.
In collaboration with artist Martine Lauzier, an audio artwork will be created specifically for the 16-channel Sound Wall at Sporobole. This audio installation will engage pedestrians as they travel, from one loudspeaker to the next, along Albert Street. With multiple recordings, the artists wish to “transport” Sporobole’s indoors’ sound density to the outdoors and encourage listeners to walk, pursue the sounds and enter the proposed sound spaces.
Sporobole is proud to invite you to Alexis Bellavance’s artist conference. He will discuss his artistic practice and the installation ERRATIQUES. The conference will start at 2 p.m. on Saturday February 21.
For this event, you can take advantage of a free bus that will take visitors from Montréal to Sherbrooke, and back.
ADVANCED BOOKING REQUIRED! If you plan on taking the bus, please send an e-mail mentioning your name and the number of passengers seats you want to reserve at firstname.lastname@example.org. A confimation e-mail will be sent to you.
• Noon: The bus leaves from the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (Jeanne Mance corner);
• 2p.m.: Bus arrives at Sporobole Centre en art actuel;
• 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Alexis Bellavance’s artist conference and visit of Sporobole’s labs;
• 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Free time to visite downtown;
• 4:30 p.m.: Opening of Sébastien Pesot’s exhibit at Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke;
• 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Time to eat at a local restaurant. You can consult this interactive card pointing to several options in the area http://www.destinationsherbrooke.com/fr/visiteurs/carte-interactive.aspx;
• 9 p.m.: The bus leaves from Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke.
Please note that the bus will leave on schedule.
Photo credits : Tanya St-Pierre